The position that is occupied by the Old Bridge, was the first fordable point on the Cleddau at low tide, and was one of the principal reasons for the Flemings choosing the site for their settlement nine hundred years ago.
At the other extreme, medieval ships could navigate up to this point at high tide allowing trade to flourish.
For almost six hundred years all trade to, or from the Quay, crossed a wooden bridge at this point.
Quay Street and Bridge Street were joined and formed the main thoroughfare, there being no Castle Square or Victoria Place, or New Bridge.
In 1726 Sir John Philipps of Picton Castle, known as ‘Good Sir John’, paid for the construction of the Old Bridge.
In 1821 George IV went over the bridge on his return from a visit to Ireland. His journey via Haverfordwest was due to poor weather at sea poor weather at sea rather than out of choice.
In 1848 the bridge was widened. If the underside of the bridge is examined – which you can do from the lower position - it is possible to see the original span, which is by our standards incredibly narrow.
Weathering had made the inscription on the monument almost illegible and consistent approaches to the relevant authorities by Haverfordwest Civic Society over many years resulted in the lettering being chased and repainted in August 2015.
Turn right after passing over the bridge, either down the steps and along the riverbank, or through the Riverside shopping mall.
Base map from openstreetmap.org
In what year was the bridge widened? Tap to reveal answer.